Energy Assistance Programs

Did you know that if you are having trouble affording your utility bills, there are many options for assistance? Please review the following list of programs and agencies that offer aid towards heating and utility bills.

Oil Heat Assistance

Citizen's Energy- the 2015 Program is open as of 3/25/15

The 2015 Citizen's Energy Program has begun! Call today:
1-877-JOE-4-OIL (563-4645)

Phone lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. Reference our dealer #102559

  • The Citizen’s Energy Program provides eligible families a one-time delivery of 100 gal. of home heating oil.

  • In partnership with CITGO, Citizens Energy works with thousands of oil heat dealers and local fuel assistance agencies in 17 states to provide deliveries of home heating oil to those in need.

  • Please be advised that Citizen’s experiences a very high call volume. If you are having trouble getting through, continually hit the redial button.

How to Apply

1.     Applicants must call 1-877-JOE-4-OIL (1-877-563-4645) to apply for the program. Applications are not available online.

2.    A customer service representative will take some preliminary information over the phone.

3.    The applicant will receive an Income Verification Form by mail.

4.    The applicant must fill in their income, sign and return this form.

5.    For qualified applicants, a voucher for oil will be sent to their home.

6.    The customer is responsible for contacting their approved dealer and scheduling a delivery.

Our Program only approves a one time delivery of 100 gallons per household. 
The application process takes four to five weeks as it is not an emergency assistance program.


LIHEAP   (Low Income Home Energy Assistance)

The Home Energy Assistance Program helps very low-income residents with their heating and cooling bills, and makes provisions for emergency heating system services and emergency fuel assistance within the Home Energy Assistance Program.

How to Apply for Home Energy Assistance:

1. Find out if you are eligible for the program:   REVIEW GUIDELINES

2. If you are eligible, fill out an application:   DOWNLOAD, PRINT & COMPLETE

3. Submit a completed application to your Local Community Action Agency: (Choose your County):



Gateway Community Action Partnership / Paulsboro Head Start 
901 North Delaware Ave.  | Paulsboro, NJ 08066       

(856) 423-0040  |  (856) 423-3876  |
Mon-Fri:  8:30 AM – 4:30 PM

Hispanic Family Center of Southern New Jersey Inc.
21 Delaware Street   |  Woodbury, NJ 08096                        

(856) 848-7150  |  (856) 848-7152  |
Mon, Wed, Fri:  8:30 AM – 4:30 PM | Tues, Thurs:  10:00 AM – 6:00 PM



BCCAP's Dickens Community Service Center  
1 Van Sciver Parkway  | Willingboro, NJ 08046                    

(609) 835-4329  |  (609) 835-9647 |
(609) 835-2464  |  (877) 332-2278
Mon-Fri:  9:00 AM – 5:00 PM



Camden County Council on Economic Opportunity             
5287 Route 70  |   Pennsauken, NJ 08109                              

(856) 910-1185  |  (856) 910-1186 |
(856) 910-1180  |  Mon-Fri: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM  


Camden County Council on Economic Opportunity (Central Office)
538 S. Broadway Ave. |  Camden, NJ 08103

(856) 365-2784  |  (856) 964-6887 |
Mon-Fri: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM


Hispanic Family Center of Southern New Jersey, Inc.
2700 Westfield Ave | Camden, NJ 08105

(856) 541-2717  |   (856) 365-1862  |
Mon-Fri:  8:30 AM – 4:30 PM



NJ SHARES is a non-profit corporation that provides assistance to individuals and families living in New Jersey who are in need of temporary help in paying their energy bills. To qualify for NJ SHARES, a person or family must be facing a financial crisis and not be eligible for welfare or other income-based energy assistance programs. Recipients must also have a history of good faith payments of their utility bills.

Please call NJSHARES at 1-866-657-4273 or visit them at


Electric/Gas Utility Assistance

Lifeline Program

The Lifeline Utility Assistance Program is for eligible low-income senior citizens and the disabled. Lifeline benefits help eligible homeowners and renters with electric and natural gas costs. You may apply for Lifeline by filling out the Pharmaceutical Assistance for the Aged and Disabled (PAAD) application.

Call: 1-800-792-9745 for more information or visit Lifeline is run by the Department of Health and Senior Services.

Universal Service Fund-Energy

The State of New Jersey created the Universal Service Fund (USF), administered by the Department of Community Affairs (DCA), was created by the Board of Public Utilities (BPU) to help make energy bills more affordable for qualifying households whose annual household income is at or below 175% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). The program was designed so that households most in need receive the highest benefit by using a percentage of income formula. Benefits appear as a credit on the household electric and/or gas bill (capped at $1,800 per year).

For more information about USF, please go to or call toll free at: 1-866-240-1347